Knowing who are the key stakeholders involved in the decision-making process for building products is important but not enough. When it comes to creating customer success and the high and lows leading to the transaction and longer-term loyalty, it’s all about the journey, not just the destination.
Mapping the customer journey for each stakeholder on both a transactional and emotional level at each stage of the journey identifies touchpoints for suppliers to influence the customer experience. High level approaches to customer engagement don’t provide suppliers with the insights to understand and respond to a stakeholder’s unique customer journey. Expectations and unmet needs can be identified to position how to best serve and win the customer relationship, from pre-awareness to post-transaction support.
- Pre-Awareness: Customer need results in seeking out products and services.
- Awareness: Customer becomes aware of brand through existing relationships, advertising, or online research and blogs.
- Consideration: Customer focuses on a brand or product of interest.
- Nurture: Brand offers customer more information and insight on products; opportunity to compare products; and nurturing with meaningful and helpful information and experiences in a manner the customer wants.
- Transact: Customer purchases product or expresses intent to purchase.
- Post-Transaction Support: Customer offered needed product information, support, and additional meaningful services to encourage the customer to remain loyal and advocate for the brand.
Customer success is found in the sum of each step in the journey, and each step is different. Armed with these customer insights, building products suppliers can create unique value propositions and go-to-market strategies for each stakeholder aligned with key interactions along the journey.
Customer journey mapping is a part of Principia’s consulting services related to the customer experience. Our primary research-based focus leverages voice of customer feedback to deliver critical insights enabling building products suppliers to drive profitable growth.